Blog authors add credibility and build trust in your brand. Besides, they allow readers to see someone behind the content rather than a faceless entity.
Creating authors in Magento 2 Blog allows different people to contribute content to your blog. Each has separate accounts and roles.
However, different editions of Magento 2 Blog offer different ways of managing authors. We'll descrive all cases to help you find the best option for your blog.
Authors in Blog Base and Plus
In Blog Base and Plus, blog authors are Magento admin users. In this case, to create a blog author you need to create the admin user.
Then you can assign admin users to the blog post in the display settings.
Additionally, you can choose to hide the blog author's name from the frontend in the author's configuration.
Authors in Blog Extra
If you use Blog Extra there is a separate section to manage authors. You can configure the display of the blog author's block, social media links and author's page.
To create a blog author in Magento 2 Blog Extra check this short video or follow the steps below.
1. Make sure you enable the Display Author Information option in blog author settings and then navigate to Content > Blog > Authors.
2. Press the Add New Author button to create a new author.
3. Fill out the Author Information.
- Enable the author.
- Enter First and Last Names.
- Set the author's Email and assign this user Role.
Note: you can grant different blog authors access to different sections of the blog by configuring blog access control list.
- Upload the Featured Image.
4. Enter the Content that will be displayed in th author's page on the storefront.
5. Configure Display Setttings.
- Choose the Template for the blog author page to define how the author's posts will look like.
- Set the Post Per Page option to choose the number of posts displayed on the blog author page.
Note: if you don't set any number in the Post Per Page field, the extension will take the post list configuration.
6. Choose what Website to assign this author to.
7. Enter the Short Content. that is displayed on the author's block on blog post pages.
8. Set Social Media URLs such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
9. Configure Search Engine Optimization which is standard for all Magento 2 pages. Here you set the URL Key and Meta Information for the author's page.
If you want to preview how your author page will look in search results, and make sure metadata is optimized for SEO, use Magento 2 SEO Extension.
10. Configure the Design and Custom Design Update.
In the Design section, you can choose the Layout and the Layout Update XML. Customer Design Update correspondingly allows you to predetermine the design update.
Therefore you can choose the New Theme, Layout together with the Layout Update XML and the Date you want the custom design to be changed to.
Once you save the author you can assign them to the post and check the author's block on the post page.
Note: to add the Latest From Author section check the post view settings.
When you follow the read more link on the author's block you are directed to the author's page :
Co-Authors for One Post
One more feature of Blog Extra worth mentioning is co-authors. It allows you to add multiple authors for the same post with one main author.
You can add co-authors the same way you add authors to the blog posts. Just navigate to any blog post, find the Co-authors option in the Display Settings and set the co-author.
The co-author is displayed at the top of the blog post, while the author's block still features a main author (the one you set as Author in the blog post display settings).