Magento 2 simple products are the most basic and essential Magento products. The simple product has no variations. It is sold individually since it has a single SKU. However, it can also be purchased as a part of a configurable, bundle or grouped product.
Following steps to create a simple product in Magento 2:
1. Navigate to Catalog > Products and choose Simple Product from the Add Product dropdown.
2. Enable or disable a simple product.
3. Choose the Attribute Set you want this product to have. Magento provides the default attribute set. However, you are able to choose from various other options. Besides you can add a new attribute set or a new attribute.
4. Set the Product Name and SKU.
5. Set the product Price.
There are cases like sales, promotions or any other kind of offers when you need to set an Advanced Pricing for a product.
e.g. you might use it to create an automatic sale category or for configuring catalog price rules
- Set Special Price, a price customer will see during sales or under other conditions.
- Choose the Special Price From and To Date.
- Set the Cost, the price you have bought this product for. This field is of practical use so that you know what special price to set.
- In the Customer Group Price section, you set the quantity and price of the product a certain group of customers on a certain website will see.
- Set the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.
- Choose where to Display Actual Price: On Gesture, In Cart, or Before Order Confirmation.
6. Set the Tax Class.
7. State Quantity and Stock Status.
8. Enter product Weight.
Note: Only Downloadable products have no weight.
9. Set product Visibility. It's better to choose Catalog and Search option since when you set both of them separately customers will not be able to see a product in the catalog and search for it.
Note: since simple products are usually displayed as a part of the bundle, configurable or grouped products there also is a Not Visible Individually option which is commonly used in this case.
10. Decide what Category to assign this product to or create new category.
In case you are tired of assigning products to categories and search for some ways to make this process automatic there is a great solution for you.
11. Set Product as New From To Date during which customers will be able to see this product marked "New" or in the New category if you have one on your store.
12. Choose the Country of Manufacturer.
13. Write Short and Long Description of the product.
14. Create Configurations or variations of the product in other words. However, remember that once you create the configurable options a product will become a configurable one.
15. Add Images and Videos.
16. Set the simple product URL-key and Meta Information.
Note: Meta Description should be around 150-160 characters.
17. In the Related Products, Up-Sells, and Cross-Sells section you set the products similar to this product or product that matches perfectly to the one customer already intents to buy.
18. Set the Customizable Options so that the customer can choose the product variation he wants.
19. Set the Website simple product will be displayed on. If you manage a multi-language store, you are able to go as far as to assign a product to the store view.
Note: If you want to have the same product on multiple store views you need to translate it.
20. Configure the Design of a simple product and Schedule Design Update.
21. Allow or do not allow Gift Message.
Once you have filled in all the necessary information, do not forget to Save the product and go to the storefront to check it out.
In case you want to update the product information there is no need to go back to the product page and edit it. You can do this directly from the grid, saving much time.
Check out the Magento 2 Product Grid Inline Editor.