One of the foremost tasks of any storeowner is to make the shopping experience as diverse and advanced as possible. Magento 2 custom options can assist you in this regard. They allow you to give your customers an opportunity to choose product options as to their needs without relying on the product attributes.
Such functionality allows you to categorize products, create cart price and catalog price rules. Thus, you may configure it for your own store too. And this is exactly what you'll learn today.
To configure Magento 2 custom options:
1. Navigate to Catalog > Products and choose the product you'd like to configure customizable options for or Add New Product if needed.
Note: you can't configure Magento custom options for simple products that already constitute the configurable product.
2. Scroll down to the Customizable Options section and press the Add Option button.
- Specify the Option Title and Type.
- Check if you want this option to be Required.
Note: once you check the Required option's box, the corresponding custom option will be obligatory to choose.
3. Press the Add Value button and fill out the corresponding fields.
- Enter the Title of the value.
- Set the Price and Price Type.
Note: if you choose the Fixed price type, the price of the custom option will differ from the price of the base product by a fixed amount. If you select the Percentage option, the price will correspondingly differ from the price of the base product by percentage.
4. Enter the SKU for each Magento custom option that will be added to the product SKU as a suffix.
5. Once you finish, Save the product and check the Magento 2 custom options on the storefront.
In the shopping cart, the Magento custom options will be displayed right under the product name.
As defined previously, you can't configure custom options for all Magento 2 products since most of them are based on the attributes. What you can do though, is to copy custom product options and add them to multiple other products in one go, saving your time immensely.