Downloadable products in Magento 2 have no physical form and require practically nothing to manage. You don't need to cover manufacturing, publishing, shipping or delivery, etc. And that is what makes downloadable products so popular.
In Magento 2, except for creating a downloadable product, you have to configure the general Downloadable Product Options.
These steps to configure Downloadable Products Options in Magento 2:
- Go to Stores > Configuration > Catalog > Catalog and find the Downloadable Product Options section.
- Choose the Order Item Status to Enable Downloads which defines if the order needs to be Invoiced or Pending for a customer to be able to download the product.
- Set the Default Maximum Number of Downloads available for 1 customer once he purchases the downloadable product.
- Choose if you want the downloadable product to be Shareable, which means customers will receive the download link via email and will be able to share it, or No if you want a customer to log in to his account to download the product.
- Set the Default Sample and Default Link Titles.
- Decide whether you want download links to be Opened Links in New Window.
- In the Use Content Disposition section, define if you want the download link to be delivered in the Email Attachment or the Inline Link in Browser.
- Disable Guest Checkout if Cart Contains Downloadable Item to forbid customers from completing the checkout if they are not logged in.
Note: when purchasing a downloadable product in Magento customers can go to the checkout as guests only if Shareble option is enabled.
Don't forget to Save Config and start creating the downloadable product.