Guest checkout is a preferred checkout option for plenty of customers who don't want to go through a long registration process. It is also an option that allows them to place orders quickly.
However, some merchants falsely assume guest checkout deprives them of a marketing potential since they can't gather valuable info about their customers.
Not with the Magento 2 Guest to Customer which is very easy to configure and beneficial at the same time.
To configure Guest to Customer Extension:
1. Navigate to Stores > Configuration > Magefan Extensions > Convert Guest to Customer and Enable the extension.
2. Enable the Automatic Conversion of Guest orders to Customers if you want the customer accounts to be created instantly after the order was placed.
3. Choose whether to Assign Order Address to Customer or not.
4. Сhoose the Invalid Order Address Action.
5. Set the Subscribed to Newsletter option to Yes if you want converted customers to be automatically added to your newsletter subscribers list.
Note: make sure this option is compatible with your GDPR/CCPA/LGPD policy before enabling it.
6. Choose whether you want to Send Welcome Email. If you set this option to Yes, the email will be sent to the user once the guest order is converted to a customer.
Note: we use the default Magento template — New Account without Password, so you can easily customize it. Once you do that, go to Stores > Configuration > Customers > Customer Configuration> Create New Account Options > Default Welcome Email Without Password to assing it.
7. Select what Customer Group you want converted customers to belong to.
8. Choose whether you want to Allow Customer to Assign Their Guest Orders to their account.
9. Select the Confirmation Email Template that will be sent to customers that decide to assign guest orders to their accounts.
10. There is also an option to Convert All Old Guests To Customers in case you've just started using this extension and have plenty of guest orders you would like to convert at once.
Once you've finished, don't forget to press the Save Config button and create some guest orders to test the extension.
Check out the Guest to Customer Extension User Guide to study all options in more detail.