Magento 2 Customer Groups is the feature of Magento 2 that allows you to divide your customers into groups so that you have an opportunity to set different discounts, share different information and define different custom rules for them.
It is important that you divide customers into groups since, except all mentioned above, it allows you to target the right audience with the right information or offers.
It increases the productivity of your store and allows you to provide a personalized experience for your site visitors.
In this article, you will learn how to create a customer group in Magento 2, how to assign a customer to a customer group and how to use customer groups in your store.
Create Customer Group in Magento 2
1. Navigate to Customers > Customer Groups and press Add New Customer Group button.
2. Set customer Group Name.
3. Choose the Tax Class customers in this customer group belong to.
Don't forget to Save the new Customer Group.
Assign Customer to Customer Group
Magento 2 allows you to assign customers to customer groups from two places: Grid and Edit Page.
Assign Customer from Grid
1. Go to Customers > All Customers and choose the customer you'd like to assign to the customer group by checking it in the customers' grid.
2. Select Assign a Customer Group option in the Actions dropdown and choose the customer group you want to assign a customer to.
3. Confirm you want to assign a selected customer to a customer group.
Now the customer you selected should be assigned to the customer group. However, there is one more place to do this from.
Assign Customer from Customer Edit Page
1. Navigate to Customers > All Customers, select a customer you'd like to assign to the customer group, and press the Edit button.
2. Go to the customer Account Information section and choose the customer group you want customers to be assigned to from the Group dropdown.
3. Save Customer.
How to Use Customer Groups in Magento 2?
As mentioned before, to get the most out of your Magento 2 store you have to target the right audience with the right messages and offers. So, segmenting your customers into customer groups is the first step to go.
In Magento 2 there are a lot of places where you can use the customer groups feature. Let's find out what exactly.
Tier Price in Magento 2 is the feature that allows you to set up customer group discounts based on the number of products purchased. It encourages customers to purchase more to get a discount.
To offer a discount or to share some important information with your customers you usually use CMS blocks. But not all offers will be as tempting for one group of customers as it is for another.
So, you can configure the CMS blocks and pages display rules and define what customer group they will be visible for.
Cart Price Rules are used in Magento 2 so that you can offer your customers discounts based on certain conditions. One of the options you select while creating the cart price rule is Customer Group.
Even if some customers fall under the conditions of the cart price rule, they can not receive the discount since it is created only for a certain customer group.
And that is not the end of the list. Customer groups are used for a lot of other custom rules and extensions to provide a better customer experience with personalized offers.
Check out other useful articles about Magento 2 Management to learn more about Magento 2 admin panel configurations.