One of the most popular kinds of products Magento 2 offers you to create is a virtual product. Magento 2 virtual products are products you can not feel tangibly. Those are memberships, services, subscriptions, and warranties.
They can be sold individually or as a part of grouped or bundle products. Except for having no weight, there is no particular difference between creating a simple and virtual product.
Following steps to create virtual products in Magento 2:
1. Go to Catalog > Products and choose Virtual Product from the Add Product dropdown.
2. Enable or disable a virtual product.
3. Choose the Attribute Set to assign to this product.
4. Set the Product Name and SKU.
5. Enter the product Price.
You can set an Advanced Pricing for the virtual product in cases like sales, promotions or any other kind of offers.
- Special Price is the price customers will see during sales or any other conditions.
- Set the Date during which the special price will be valid.
- Set the Cost, the price you bought this product for.
- Define the Quantity and Price of the product in the Customer Group Price section.
- Set the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.
- Choose where to Display Actual Price.
6. Set the Tax Class.
7. State Quantity and Stock Status.
8. Virtual products are non-tangible and have no Weight. So, this option is set automatically when you choose to create the Virtual Product.
9. Set the Visibility of the virtual product in your store.
Note: There are several options, but the best one is Catalog and Search since customers will be able to see the virtual product in the catalog and search for it.
10. Assign virtual product to the Category or create a new category.
In case you are wondering if it is possible to add products to categories automatically the answer is Yes. Magento 2 Dynamic Categories extension allows you to create a dynamic category rule that will automatically assign products to categories based on certain conditions.
Due to the cron job dynamic category rules are applied regularly, so there is no need to enable them every time you add new products.
11. Set Product as New From To Date during which this product will be marked "New" or displayed in the New category if you have one.
13. Write Short and Long Description of the product.
Note: Non-tangible products have no physical form correspondingly can not have any configurations to choose from.
14. Add Images and Videos.
15. Set the virtual product URL-key and Meta Information.
Note: Meta Description should optimally be between 150-160 characters.
16. Set similar or matching products in the Related Products, Up-Sells, and Cross-Sells section to encourage customers to buy more.
17. Set the Customizable Options so that the customer can choose the product variation he wants.
18. Set the Website virtual product will be displayed on. If you manage a multi-language store, you can assign a product to the particular store view. However, in this case, translate the product page you need to.
19. Configure Design and Schedule Design Update of the virtual product.
20. Allow or do not allow Gift Message.
Once you have filled in all the necessary information, do not forget to Save the virtual product and go to the storefront to review it.