Having a POS terminal set up is not sufficient for your POS system to function properly. Same as in the eCommerce store, there should be someone who processes the orders. In your retail store, cashier is a person that performs many vital functions from accepting payments to applying coupons and updating prices.
Cashiers in Magento 2 POS are assigned to certain stores and correspondingly can operate certain terminals. It helps you to track each cashier's performance with the Z-reports and restrict their access to particular store locations.
The role of a cashier in Magento POS is performed by the admin users. You just have to create a cashier role for them like you would when creating any admin user in Magento.
To create a cashier in Magento 2 POS:
1. Create a user role.
- Go to System > Permissions > User Roles and press the Add New Role button.
- Specify the Role Name and Your Password.
- Move to Role Resources and choose Resources your cashiers will have access to.
2. Create a new user.
- Navigate to System > Permissions > All users and press the Add New User button.
- Fill out user account information by specifying the User Name, First and Last Names, Email, Password, and Interface Locale. Activate an account, set an expiration date for it, and enter Your Password.
- Assign a user role you've just created for this user in the User Role section.
- Specify what Store Locations to assign this user to.
3. Monitor the POS cashier.
Once you save the user, use the login and password you've created to log in to POS at a given location, start a session and operate POS.
As a store manager, you can view each cashier's performance while managing staff sessions.
Additionally, you can track the terminal performance via POS Z-reports with all the store location and session details at a particular point in time.