Revenue is the ultimate goal that drives every marketing decision of a business. In Magento 2 there are plenty of tools that help to increase sales, among which cross-sell and upsell definitely stand out.
These are product recommendation options that enable you to encourage customers to buy more.
Since many often get confused about the upselling & crossing options and related products, we'll define the difference between upsell and cross-sell in Magento. Besides, we'll show you how you can add them in Magento admin.
What is upsell?
Upsells are products displayed on the product page and used to increase the average order value. These are usually products of the same kind as the one customers have landed at, but with better quality and higher price.
Upsells encourage customers to buy more expensive products instead of the ones they are viewing. So if you're selling hoodies, you can add more costly hoodies from better materials as upsells.
What is Cross-sell?
Cross-sells are products displayed on the main product page and shopping cart to encourage customers to buy more products. However, they are usually placed in the shopping cart to drive impulsive purchases.
Cross-sells don't necessarily have to be more expensive. You add products that customers might like to purchase in addition to the ones they are already willing to buy.
So, adding fitness gear or clothes as cross-sells to fitness guides is a great match.
How to Add Up-sell and Cross-sell Magento?
In Magento, you can easily manually add cross-sells and upsells on the product editing page.
1. Go to the Catalog > Products and choose the product you want to add cross-sells and upsells to.
2. Scroll down to the Related Products, Up-Sells, and Cross-Sells section.
3. Press the corresponding button to Add Cross-sell or Up-sell Products.
4. Select the products you want to add and press the Add Selected Products button.
5. View all of the products you've added and don't forget to save the product to see up-sells and cross-sells on a storefront.
If you haven't used this useful feature of Magento yet, you should definitely try. Upsells and cross-sells increase the likelihood of a purchase, especially if customers don't want to buy a product they originally landed at.