Sales, discounts, and special offers drive people to your store and help to gain their loyalty. However, the smarter you are about managing them the more effective they turn out to be.
Magento coupon codes are an integral part of every sale on your Magento 2 store since they help customers to apply the cart price rules.
You can create coupons in Magento for individual customers, separate customer groups, certain products, and the whole catalog, under certain conditions. Besides, you can create coupons in bulk or separately.
Post Contents [hide]
So, let's get you to know how to create coupons in Magento.
How to Create Coupon Code in Magento 2?
1. Navigate to Marketing > Promotions > Cart Price Rule > Add New Rule.
2. Set the Name for the Rule and add a Description.
3. Activate the Rule.
4. Select the Website coupon code will be active on.
5. Specify Customer Groups which a coupon aims at.
6. Select a Specific Coupon and come up with a Coupon Code.
7. Set the Uses per Coupon which defines how many times the coupon code can be used. If there is no limit for the coupon code, leave this field blank.
8. Specify the Uses per Customer to define how many times the same registered user can use this coupon code. Leave it blank if there is no limit.
Note: this setting doesn't apply to the guest customers (NOT LOGGED IN group) and customers who haven't signed in to make a purchase.
9. Select the From and To Date to specify the time during which the Magento coupon code will be valid.
10. Set the Priority so only the rule (coupon code) with a higher priority is applied in case multiple rules fit the conditions.
11. Choose whether to make it Public in RSS Feed.
12. Set the Conditions that define the state of the shopping cart that customers should meet to be able to apply the coupon code. Correspondingly, they are based on Cart Attributes only.
13. Manage Actions.
- Choose how to Apply the coupon code:
- Percent of product discount
- Fixed Amount Discount
- Fixed amount Discount for the whole cart
- Buy X get Y (discount amount is Y)
- Enter the Discount Amount.
- Set the Maximum Qty Discount is Applied To that specifies the maximum number of the same product customer has to purchase to get a discount in the same purchase.
- If you select the Buy X get Y (discount amount is Y) discount, enter the Discount Qty Step (Buy X).
- Choose whether to apply coupon code discount to the Shipping Amount to define how the discount will be applied: to cart items only or to subtotal (including shipping rates).
- Chose if you want to Discard Subsequent Rules to avoid unintended discount from multiple applied price rules.
- Define the additional Conditions to apply the coupon code under.
- Choose if you want to add the discount to Free Shipping and how you want it to be applied to it.
Once you finish, don't forget to save the coupon code and check it on the storefront. Just add products to cart to meet the conditions of the rule and apply the coupon.
Special coupons are good for special occasions like certain holidays. However, if you don't want to be so specific about the text of coupon code in Magento, you can generate coupon codes automatically.
Create Multiple Coupon Codes in Magento
When creating automatically generated coupon codes in Magento you also have to set conditions, discounts amount and other options we've just described. The only thing is you select the Use Auto-Generation option which means you don't get to enter your custom coupon code.
- Go to the Manage Coupon Codes section of the rule.
- Enter the Coupon Qty that specified how many coupon codes you want to generate.
- Set the Code Length to define the number of characters in a coupon code.
- Select the Code Format.
- Enter the Code Suffix and Prefix to be included in the code. You may use it to make auto-generated coupon codes stand out from the other coupons.
- State the Dash Every X Character and press the Generate button.
Note: the dashes, suffix and prefix will be included in the code length.
Coupons are generated by cron and added to the queue, so it can take a while to generate them, especially if you want to create a large number of coupons in bulk. However, don't forget to Save the rule while you wait.
Once the coupon codes are generated, you will see them in the grid.
How to Apply Coupon Codes?
The last thing to do is to provide coupon codes to your customers so they can apply and benefit from the discounts.
However, what are the chances customers copy the code and paste it on checkout or shopping cart?
The simpler it is to apply the coupons the more likely customers will do that. Don't make them take any extra steps like copying, pasting, or entering coupon codes manually.
Allow them to apply coupon codes automatically in one click. It boosts their experience and makes purchases more likely.