The out-of-stock situations are not the most welcomed ones. However, you still can turn them to your advantage. Question is, how?
Backorders may be one of the options to go for. Yet, Magento 2 product alerts can do the trick much better. By using them, you interact with your customers more, improving their engagement and loyalty at the same time.
In this article, you're going to learn what are Magento product alerts, how to configure them and manage product alerts run settings.
Ready to start?
Post Contents [hide]
What are Magento 2 Product Alerts?
Magento 2 product alerts is a system of notifications customers subscribe to on the product page to receive email notifications about any change in the product price or product stock status. Correspondingly, there are 2 types of product alerts in Magento 2: Product Price Alert and Product In-Stock Alert.
Thus, customers can get the product they are interested in for a more suitable price when they want to. Or get a product they want to buy right after it is back in stock.
Usually, out-of-stock products in Magento 2 are not displayed. So, to enable the product alert messages you need to make sure the product is visible on the storefront.
For that go to Stores > Configuration > Catalog > Inventory and enable the Display Out of Stock Products option.
Once this option is enabled, you are good to move on to the other settings.
Configure Product Alerts in Magento 2
To configure Magento product alerts:
1. Navigate to Stores > Configuration > Catalog > Catalog and find the Product Alerts section.
2. Enable the
3. Allow Alert When Product Comes Back in Stock and set the Stock
4. Set the Alert Email Sender who is a store representative, who will appear as a sender of the Magento product alert notifications.
Once you Save the configuration, customers will be able to see product alerts on the Magento 2 product details page.
Note: Price and Stock alerts don't usually appear at the same time. Price Alert is always displayed if enabled, while Stock Alert appears just when the product runs out of stock.
Though you enable Magento 2 product alerts and set the email notification templates, the emails aren't sent to the subscribers unless you configure the Product Alerts Run Settings.
Configure Magento Product Alerts Run Settings
To manage the product alerts run settings in Magento 2, take the following steps:
1. Go to Stores > Configuration > Catalog > Catalog and unfold the Product Alerts Run Settings section.
2. Set the Frequency you want the Magento 2 product alerts to be sent with.
3. Choose the Start Time to send the alerts.
Note: the product alerts should be sent after all product prices and inventory changes take place. Otherwise, some issues might appear.
4. Set the Error Email Recipient to mark the person to be notified if any problems appear during the product alert sending.
5. Specify the Error Email Sender and the Error Email Template to be used for the product alert error notifications.
6. Don't forget to press the Save Config button.
As it's already been mentioned, the Magento 2 product alerts option is one of many ways to improve your customer engagement and loyalty. This is a Magento feature you get out of the box. So why not use it to improve the experience of your customers?
At the same time, you can configure the low stock email notifications to know when it's time to restock.
This way, you can manage your inventory better, while your customers always have plenty of products to choose from without having to wait for them to be back in stock. So, it's a win-win.