One of the most useful features of Magento is Magento 2 Multi Source Inventory. It allows merchants to add multiple inventory sources to one or more websites. Using this feature, you can also manage multiple sales channels and run your business much more effectively.
Magento 2 inventory source is one of the most important features of the MSI. But what is it and how can you add it to your website? In this article, we'll cover all these questions.
What is Magento 2 Inventory Source?
Magento 2 source is basically a physical location, where you keep your inventory. It may be any place equipped enough to store products and fulfill orders accordingly: warehouse, distribution center, brick-and-mortar stores.
You have to set the number of products available for purchase per each source. If you sell products from different locations you will have to create a new source for each of them.
Let's find out what steps you have to take to add new sources.
How to Add New Source in Magento 2?
When you start setting up Magento MSI, there will be a default source. It is added automatically as a part of a Single Source mode. All the products you add are assigned to it by default. However, it cannot be deleted or disabled though.
To add inventory source in Magento:
1. Go to Stores > Inventory > Source and press the Add New Source button.
2. Fill in the General information.
- Specify the Name of your source and the Code.
Note: these are necessary fields, so you have to enter the information here. The Code may include both upper and lower case, including numbers, dashes, and underscores. It is a unique ID, which cannot be changed after saving the source.
- Enable the source if it is available to be used.
- Add Description for any additional information or other references about the inventory source.
- Enter the GPS coordinates of the inventory source in the Longitude and Latitude fields.
- Choose whether this source will be used as a Pickup Location.
3. Fill in the Contact Info section.
- Add the Contact Name of the primary contact at the location.
- Set the Email, Phone, and Fax (if it is available) to keep in touch with the inventory source.
4. Complete the Address Data section.
Country and Postcode options are required while such fields as
Once you finished filling in the Magento 2 inventory source settings, don’t forget to Save a source, and here you go.
You can modify the added information, but remember that the Code of the source cannot be changed.
Note: sources cannot be deleted. However, you can disable any of the created sources which won't be available for purchases and orders.
So, after following these quick steps you can easily create new inventory sources to track the number of products and keep the information organized. Once sources are added, it is possible to structure them into stocks, assign products to sources, and edit quantity per source in bulk.