To create configurable products in Magento 2 means to create several different variations of the same simple product. Since configurable products consist of simple ones that have separate SKUs it's more convenient to track down every single product variation.
The main difference between the configurable and simple products in Magento 2 is that the first one has variable options customers can choose from. That is exactly what makes configurable products the most popular kind of products in Magento 2.
So, before you start to create configurable products make sure you have the configurable attributes created and assigned to the corresponding attribute sets.
e.g. You can create the configurable Material attribute and add it to the current Bags attribute so the customers can choose bags in different materials
As we have already mentioned configurable product is just a combination of simple products. Correspondingly, to create a configurable product you have to fill out all the same fields as in the simple product creation, plus Configurations section you left blank in a simple product.
Follow these steps to create сonfigurable product in Magento 2:
1. Navigate to Catalog > Products and choose the Configurable Product form the Add Product Dropdown.
2. Fill in all of the fields as in simple product.
2. Find the Configurations section, press the Create Configurations button and start the 4-step product configurations process.
3. Select the configurable Attributes customers will be able to choose from.
Note: when you remove or add an attribute, all configurations are automatically updated and you need to recreate the current configuration manually.
4. Select each attribute Values to include in this product and create a unique product SKU.
5. Customize Images, Price and Quantity for configurable product variations. For each of these options, you are able to add new values, set a single value for all products and skip any configurations.
6. Press the Generate Products button.
Once the products are generated you will be able to change the values and add new images if needed.
Note: If you manage a multi-language store, you can assign this product to a different store view. However in this case you need to not only translate the product page ,but product attributes and their values as well.
When you finish creating a configurable product don't forget to Save the product and check it out on the storefront.
So, that is exactly how you create configurable products in Magento 2. Configurable products allow you to increase the variety of products in your store and satisfy customers with the wide selection and the variety of options.
Just in case you are interested in creating configurable products programmatically, check this guide.
Learn more about other Magento 2 product types, their differences and management in this Ultimate Guide to Magento 2 Product Types.