The Shipping Method in Magento 2 stands for the price and the method of delivering a product to a customer. There are different groups of shipping methods in Magento 2 that are defined by the Delivery Type.
In this article, you're going to learn about the basic shipping configurations in Magento 2 as well as review all default Magento 2 shipping methods.
Post Contents [hide]
How to Configure Magento 2 Shipping Settings?
Before configuring the default shipping methods available in Magento 2 you have to configure the default shipping settings. For this go to Stores > Configuration > Sales > Shipping Settings and configure Origin and Shipping Policy Parameters.
It is necessary so Magento can calculate the taxes and shipping costs based on the shipping origin.
So, all information you have to set includes :
- ZIP/Postal Code
- Street Address/Street Address Line 2
Note: you can learn more about the tax options in this Magento tax configuration guide.
You also have to decide whether to Apply custom Shipping Policy and write your Shipping Policy text to be displayed during checkout.
How to Configure Default Magento 2 Shipping Methods?
Once you finish with the basic shipping settings, you're good to go and configure shipping methods. They are managed in Stores > Configuration > Sales > Shipping Methods.
Flat Rate Shipping Method
Flat Rate is the standard Magento 2 shipping method that can be applied per single item or per order regardless of the product attributes such as size or weight etc.
There are some similar options every shipping method has (e.g. Title, Enable Disable, Method Name). So, let's pay more attention to the distinctive ones.
1. Define the way the shipping fee is added to the subtotal in Type field. There are 3 possible options: None, Per Item and Per Order.
- None means no change. In this case, Flat rate shipping method is equivalent to Free.
- Per Order means the charge is generated for the whole order and not every single item separately.
- Per Item correspondingly means Flat Rate shipping fee is set for each item and multiplied by the number of items in the cart.
2. Set the Price you would like to charge the customer for the Flat Rate Shipping.
3. Determine the method to Calculate Handling Fee.
4. Set the amount of Handling Fee according to the method you set for handling fee calculations.
Note: if you choose to calculate the handling fee from the order subtotal by the percentage, you should set 0.08 for 8 %, for example.
5. Fill out the Displayed Error Message field with the text customers will see when the Flat Rate Shipping is unavailable.
6. Choose if you want to ship to all Allowed countries in the Ship to Applicable Countries select box and select some separate countries if you decide to Ship to Specific Countries.
7. Decide whether to Show Method if Not Applicable to determine if the Flat Rate shipping method will be displayed as an option during checkout even if it couldn't be applied to the order.
8. Set the Sort Order to define the place of the Flat Rate method in the list of shipping methods.
Free Shipping Method
Free shipping is the most popular and customer-attracting type of shipping used in Magento 2. It is a great way for merchants to offer customers free shipping based on the minimum order amount and set up cart price rules if the conditions are met.
The free shipping configuration is similar to the previous method. However, you can check out free shipping configuration in more detail and learn how to promote it.
Table Rates Shipping Method
Table Rates is the Magento 2 shipping method where the fee is calculated based on different conditions. (e.g. Weight v. Destination, Price v. Destination, Number of Items v. Destination)
This means that the price for Table Rates shipping varies depending on your customer address and the number of items they order, or by the number of items and their weight.
Generally, it is very similar to the Flat Rate shipping method, but there are some distinctive features:
1. Choose the Condition rates it will be generated under.
2. Set Include Virtual Products in Price Calculation option.
Note: virtual products have no weight so, correspondingly, they don't change the results of the Weight v. Destination condition calculation.
Once you finish with the default Table Rates configuration, you can prepare or update the table rate files.
3. In the Stores > Configuration section switch the store view or the website you want to apply this shipping setting to. Two new additional options will appear there.
4. Export the CSV file, update it and then import it.
5. Go to the storefront to make several orders, choose different destinations and check how the Table Rate shipping fees are calculated.
Dimensional Weight Shipment in Magento 2
The Dimensional Shipping method in Magento 2 is when the shipping rate is calculated based on the package dimensions (volume and weight) or the amount of place it occupies, in other words.
1. Enable DHL for Checkout to determine whether it will be displayed during the checkout.
2. Give the shipping method a Title and enter the Access ID, Password and Account Number.
Note: You can find this data in your DHL shipper account.
3. Set the Content-Type (Non-Domestic).
4. Manage Handling Fee (Calculate Handling Fee Type, Handling Applied, Handling Fee amount) as in the previously mentioned shipping methods.
5. Choose to Divide Order Weight so that the order weight is divided into smaller units to ensure the accurate shipping charge.
6. Set the Weight measurement Units to be used for calculations and set the Size.
7. Choose the Documents Allowed Methods and Non Documents Allowed Methods that you support.
8. In the Ready Time field specify when the package will be ready for pickup after the order submission.
9. Fill out the Displayed Error Message field with the text customers will see when the DHL is unavailable.
10. By setting Free Method you choose the shipping method you prefer to be used for free shipping offers.
11. Enable Free Shipping Threshold to allow free DHL shipping for orders that meet the minimum amount.
12. Configure the applicable Countries Shipping, Visibility and Sort Order in the same way as in the previous methods.
13. Enable Debug so the log file with error information will be created.
14. Enable the Sandbox Mode to run DHL transactions in a test environment.
After you configure the shipping methods, don't forget to Save Config.
And this is how the shipping methods will be displayed on the storefront:
To provide a better customer experience you have to take into account a lot of things in your store, and shipping methods are not an exception.
Providing your customers with different options you give them a choice to select what's best for them. Since shipping is an important component of the purchase, you have to know about all the options available for you and your customers.
And now you know them! Check out more Magento 2 Management articles to explore all options and features of the admin panel and optimize your store.